***Given the fluid nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, this statement will be updated as new developments occur and will be time and date stamped each time a change is made.
Last update: Wednesday, March 18, 2020, 3:30pm (CST)
These are extraordinary times. With the global spread of COVID-19 reaching pandemic levels, it is critical that we all do what we can to help reduce the spread and bring this virus under control.
At Milk Specialties Global, we take the obligation to do our part very seriously. The health and well-being of our employees, customers, consumers, business partners, and communities is of utmost importance to us. With this in mind, we are taking many precautionary measures in our business and operating practices.
As a leading North American producer of dairy protein ingredients and animal nutritional supplements, we already have strict safety policies and procedures in place. Our strong biosecurity programs that we follow for food safety also work as protection against this virus. We will continue to maintain these high standards. We are also leveraging our biosecurity and food safety knowledge to develop plans to enhance our business practices in non-operational environments.
Below outlines a number of steps we have taken once concerns about the spread of the virus started to escalate:
- Restricting non-business critical visitors into our locations and implemented a visitor screening tool.
- Communicated and implemented self-quarantine measures.
- Supporting employees to work from home whenever possible and where that is not possible, we are taking additional precautions, including implementing practices that maximize social distance when we can.
- We are leveraging technology to facilitate meetings and other interactions as much as possible.
- We are prohibiting air business travel.
- If team members or members of the household are traveling personally, they are asked to report the travel to Human Resources so that our quarantine policies can be properly applied.
- Diagnostic lab testing of COVID-19 is covered at 100% under company medical plans.
- Of course, anyone experiencing any symptoms is required to stay home. Benefits have been put in place to assist employees with COVID-19 related absences.
We will continue to monitor developments and will further adapt our policies and practices as new information becomes available. To keep our employees informed, we have created an email box for employee questions related to COVID-19 and continue to provide updated information as we have it.
We are also sharing information with our stakeholders as we work together to do the right thing.
At the present time, all plants are operating, and our company is only minimally impacted. We continue to ship and export normally and we have not experienced any significant issues with our ability to procure necessary supplies. We will continue to work very closely with our supply chain partners and given that the situation is extremely fluid, we will continue to engage in thorough contingency planning.
We recognize that our protein ingredients and animal nutritional supplements are essential in nourishing both people and animals, and a critical piece of our customers’ supply chain. We are committed to continuing to execute our business with excellence, maintaining operational stability and the health of our people and being vigilant in the steps we are taking to mitigate the risk of the spread of the virus in the communities where we operate.