WHAT IS DEPROTEINIZED WHEY?
Deproteinized whey (also called dairy product solids, whey permeate or modified whey) is a coproduct of the production of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate. Whey permeate has a pleasant dairy flavor and good solubility, making it formulator-friendly. Many foods can benefit from adding deproteinized whey to their nutritional profiles.
HOW IS DEPROTEINIZED WHEY MADE?
When protein and other solids are removed from whey, deproteinized whey (whey permeate) is created, which contains a high lactose concentration. Physical separation methods like filtration and diafiltration can be used to remove specific dairy components. The remainder of the product is then concentrated before moving on to spray drying. Whey permeate has a low protein content but is considerable in lactose (milk sugar) and minerals. 84% (+/- 3%) of the substance is lactose. The product’s neutral appealing flavor is also due to this. It has a creamy white hue. With a sweet dairy flavor and good solubility, the product is a free-flowing, crystalline powder.
WHAT APPLICATIONS IS DEPROTEINZED WHEY USED FOR?
Deproteinized whey (whey permeate) is used in dairy, baked goods, meats, soups, confectionery and dry mixes for various functional and nutritional benefits, such as:
• Products stay softer for longer, resulting in a better emulsification of the fat in the formula and the increase in water retention
• Cost-effective method for sodium reduction
• Browning of baked goods by the Maillard reaction of lactose and other reducing sugars, enhancing flavor and giving a delicious caramelized flavor
• In confectionary, sweetness can be minimized but crystalline properties are provided
WHY DEPROTEINIZED WHEY?
Deproteinzed whey (whey permeate) is one of the most reasonably priced source of dairy solids available. With its clean dairy flavor, milk and whey permeate can easily replace whey powder across general food, beverage or feed applications
• Great source of lactose
• It is often used as a bulking agent
• Can support or add flavor
• Replacement of other more expensive ingredients
• It has great fluidity